Powerful Super foods for Diabetes
- Bitter gourd (കൈപ്പക്ക) - Bitter gourd contains active substances that lend anti-diabetic properties like charantin which is known for its blood glucose-lowering effect and an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p. The best way to consume it is to have fresh bitter gourd juice early morning on an empty stomach. You can add a piece of amla or Indian gooseberry to get you dose of Vitamin C for stronger immunity.
- BeetRoot(ബീറ്റ്റൂട്ട്) - Beetroots are rich source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytonutrients – all of which help in managing diabetes. Beetroots are also high in a type of antioxidant called lipoic acid which protects your cells from the damage caused by aging.
- Tomatoes(തക്കാളി) - Tomatoes are great for your heart. Rich in lycopene, They also reduce blood pressure and the risk of heart complications associated with diabetes. Tomatoes are packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin A and potassium. They are low-carb and also low in calories which make them a super food for diabetics.
- Pumpkin Seeds(മത്തങ്ങക്കുരു) - Keep a handful of pumpkin seeds with you to fight cravings for fatty and sugary foods. They are rich in iron and unsaturated fats and help in suppressing your appetite. When it comes to snacking, always remember that the key is portion control.
- Jamun(ഞാവൽ പഴം) - Jamun is one of the best super fruits for diabetics. Consumption of jamun is known to improve insulin activity and sensitivity. Jamun has a low glycemic index and helps to convert starch into energy keeping your blood sugar levels in check.
- Guava(പേരയ്ക്ക) - Guava has a low glycemic index score and is very rich in dietary fiber that helping in treating constipation which is a common complaint people with diabetes have. Some studies indicate that guava may help slow down sugar absorption in your body. It serves as a great mid-meal snack.
- Fenugreek(ഉലുവ) – Fenugreek contain fiber and help in slowing the digestion process and thus regulate the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars in the body. They improve glucose tolerance and also lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Turmeric(മഞ്ഞള്) - Turmeric is considered to be a great Ayurvedic superfood for diabetes. It can be an effective herbal way to control blood sugar. It regulates the functions of the pancreas and balances the insulin levels in the body.