Kerala Nadan Chicken Curry
- Chicken - 1 kg (cut into medium size pieces)
- Onion - 6 (sliced thinly)
- Ginger - 2" piece (crushed)
- Garlic - 1 bulb (crushed)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Red chili Powder - 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed Whole Spices - 1 cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 tsp Fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp Peppercorns (or use store bought chicken masala powder)
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coconut pieces - 2-3 tbsp
- Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and crackle the mustard seeds.
Reduce the heat and add the fenugreek seeds. Fry for few seconds.
Add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves and crushed whole spices. (Reserve a pinch to add at the end.)
Cook for about half a minute.
Add the sliced onions and saute. Add some salt to speed up the process.
Saute on medium heat for 10-15 minutes till it become golden brown and pasty.
Add the salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Mix together and fry for few seconds to awaken the aroma of the spices.
Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat with the spices.
Cover and let it cook in its own juices for about 5 minutes.
Add required amount of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Add the coconut bits at this stage. Reduce the heat and cook covered for another 10 minutes till oil separates from the gravy.
Finally add a pinch of the crushed spices and some fresh curry leaves.
Switch off and keep covered till you are ready to serve.