Tomato (Thakkali) Rasam
- Tomato: 4
- Water: 2 to 2 1/2 cups water (divided)
- Kashmiri Chili Powder: 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Organic Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind: Lemon size
- Asafoitida (Hing/Kayam): 1/2 tsp
- Sharkara (Jaggery): A one inch piece
- Coriander Leaves: A small bunch, chopped
- Salt: 1/2 tsp or as needed
TO GRIND COARSELY:
- Coriander seeds: 3 tsp
- Whole black pepper: 1 tsp
- Green Chili: 1
- Ginger: 1 inch
- Garlic: 7 to 8 cloves
- Jeera: 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustar Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds (uluva/Methi): A fat pinch
- Whole Red Chilies: 2, broken
- Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Add sliced tomatoes in a kadai or pan with 1 cup water, Kashmiri chili powder, and turmeric. With ladle or spoon, lighly mash the tomatoes and allow the water to reduce (about 7 mins).
While the tomatoes are getting cooked; into 1/2 cup water add in the tamarind and allow it to soak.
Lets make the rasam powder; into your small mixer bowl; add in coriander seeds, peppercorns, green chili, ginger, garlic, and jeer. Grind it coarsely.
Add asafoitida (kayam) into the tomato which by now has reduced and cooked throughtly. Add in the coarsely grounded rasam mix. Mix well and add 1 cup water. Allow it to boil and then simmer for 3 mins.
Add in sharkara (jaggery) and 1/2 tsp salt.
Squeeze out the tamarind juice (1/2 cup puli vellam) and pour into the rasam.Allow it to simmer for another 2-3 mins.
Add in chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 2 mins.
Lastly, heat a tadka pan with coconut oil, add in mustard seeds, fenugree seeds, broken red chilies, and curry leaves.
Serve hot with rice.